Coroner's Court of Western Australia

Inquest into the Death of Andrew Michael WATSON

Inquest into the Death of Andrew Michael WATSON

Delivered on : 23 July 2019

Delivered at : Perth

Finding of : Deputy State Coroner King

Recommendations : N/A

Orders/Rules : N/A

Suppression Order : N/A

Summary : The deceased was an elevator/lift technician who was last seen on 11 May 2013 and was reported missing on 13 May 2013. He has not been seen since and his body has not been located. He was 46 years old.

The deceased married in 2006 but separated after two or three years. He had no children. After his marriage breakdown he sold his house and travelled for about six months. Upon his return, he worked usually at nights. He became a heavy drinker and smoked cannabis recreationally.

On 18 July 2011, the deceased went by ambulance to Royal Perth Hospital with a large haematoma to the back of the head after he was found heavily inebriated and in a pool of vomit in the middle of the road. A CT scan of his head showed a large likely arachnoid cyst but there was no fracture or intracranial haemorrhage. He underwent a psychiatric assessment and reported suicidal thoughts. He was diagnosed with alcohol intoxication with possible unresolved grief issues.

On the evening of 10 May 2013 the deceased socialised at his brother’s home and then went to his friends’ unit where he had a few drinks. He and his friends then walked into Northbridge and went to their usual nightclub. The deceased commented that it was the best fun he had had in a long time. CCTV recording showed him leaving the nightclub at 12.48 am on 11 May 2013. This was the last confirmed sighting of the deceased.

When the deceased failed to attend a Mother’s Day family gathering and could not be reached by telephone, his family reported him missing to the WA Police and searched carparks in the Perth and Northbridge areas for his car. They went to his unit but found nothing suspicious. The deceased failed to attend his work place that night.

On 17 May 2013 the deceased’s locked car was located at the carpark at Peasholm Street Dog Beach in Scarborough. On the dashboard was a small notebook in which the deceased had written notes indicating his intention to end his life. Police coordinated an extensive air, land and sea search over the following three days but found no sign of him. He was not a strong swimmer. He has not had contact with family, banking or government agencies since then.

The Deputy State Coroner was satisfied that, with an intention to end his life, the deceased entered the waters of the Indian Ocean off Scarborough where he became immersed, which caused his death.

Catch Words: Missing Person : Drowning : Suicide.

Last updated: 20-Aug-2019

[ back to top ]