Coroner's Court of Western Australia

Inquest into the Death of Jose DA SILVA

Inquest into the Death of Jose DA SILVA

Delivered on :3 February 2020

Delivered at : Perth

Finding of : Coroner Jenkin

Recommendations :N/A

Orders/Rules : N/A

Suppression Order : N/A

Summary : Mr Da Silva went missing on 30 April 2017. He 34 years of age. He was said to have been deeply affected by the death of his father in 1989, and his immediate family consisted of his mother and sister.

Mr Da Silva was described as being a fastidious with respect to cleanliness and kept his apartment neat and tidy. He was very community minded and regularly swam at City Beach and was described as a powerful swimmer. The deceased was known to struggle with alcohol use and he came to the attention of the Police in July 2013, after he sent emails of an unusual nature to politicians, a prominent member of the mining community and the Police. The context was that he had lost his job in the mining industry and had struggled to find other work.

Mr Da Silva was admitted to Graylands Hospital on 11 July 2013 as an involuntary patient. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia, with a differential diagnosis of delusional disorder. He was discharged into the care of a community mental health service on 16 August 2013, and subsequently discharged from the service on 27 February 2014. On 17 April 2015, Mr Da Silva was seen at home by staff from the service, following a referral from Police after he had sent some abusive emails. Mr Da Silva declined to engage with the service and was not considered unwell enough to warrant involuntary admission to a hospital.

On 24 April 2017, Mr Da Silva was stopped by Police and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and he was noted to have been acting strangely between 27 - 29 April 2017. As far as is known, Mr Da Silva was last seen alive at about 2.30 pm on 30 April 2017, when CCTV footage showed him leaving his apartment building.

The Police investigation into the deceased’s disappearance began on 7 May 2017 following him being reported as missing to the Mirrabooka Police Station. Despite extensive enquiries and a search of the City Beach area, no trace was found. Mr Da Silva has not been seen or heard from since 30 April 2017. The Coroner was satisfied the Police conducted a comprehensive investigation into his disappearance.

On the basis of the available evidence, the Coroner found that Mr Da Silva’s death had been established beyond all reasonable doubt. The Coroner made an Open Finding as to the manner of Mr Da Silva’s death.

Catch Words : Missing Person : Mental Health : Open finding

Last updated: 24-Mar-2020

[ back to top ]